Chakras are a concept originating from Hindu texts and used in Hindu practices. Their name derives from the Sanskrit word for “wheel” or “turning”. Chakras are a concept referring to wheel-like vortices which, according to traditional Indian medicine, are believed to exist in the surface of the etheric double of man.
From their Hindu origin, the understanding of Chakras and the Chakra system is now in widespread and used through all systems that deal with energy medicine. The most commonly referenced Chakras are the seven main physical ones:
|1st Chakra||Root||Muladhara||Base of Spine||Red|
|2nd Chakra||Sacral or Sexual||Svadhishthana||Below the Navel||Orange|
|3rd Chakra||Solar Plexus||Manipura||Below the Chest||Yellow|
|4th Chakra||Heart||Anahata||Center of Chest||Green|
|6th Chakra||Third Eye||Ajna||Center of Forehead||Indigo|
|7th Chakra||Crown||Sahasrara||Top of head||Violet|
Each of the major Chakras connects the human body to the Universal Life Force energy of the Universe. They are specialized energy centers that regulate the flow of energy through the body and are each linked to major nerve plexus and glandular centers within the endocrine system.
When functioning properly, Chakras balance and regulate the flow of energy to specific physiological systems. If a Chakra is not functioning correctly, or “blocked”, problems can occur in the areas of the body served by the Chakras. A lack of energy flow in the Chakras can affect the physical, mental, psychological, emotional and spiritual health of an individual.
The Chakra System is critical for the flow of energy from the Universe into and through the various systems of our physical and extra-physical bodies.
Along with our system of seven main physical Chakras, we have a web of auxiliary energy centers, or lesser Chakras, that provide a wide spectrum of energy influx into our system. There are 21 minor chakras distributed all over the body. These 21 are further grouped into 10 bilateral minor Chakras that correspond to the foot, hand, knee, elbow, groin, clavicles, navel, shoulder and ear. They are often ignored and neglected. These are about 3 inches in diameter and are 1 inch distant from the body.
- There are two of them in front of the ears close to where the jaw bones are connected.
- There are two of them just above the two breasts.
- There is one where the breast bones meet, close to the thyroid gland. This, with the two breast centers, makes a triangle of force.
- There are two, one each in the palms of the hands.
- There are two, one each in the soles of the feet.
- There are two, just behind the eyes.
- There are two also connected with the gonads.
- There is one close to the liver.
- There is one connected with the stomach; it is related, therefore, to the solar plexus, but is not identical with it.
- There are two connected with the spleen. These form one center in reality, but such a center is formed by the two being superimposed one on the other.
- There are two – one at the back of each knee.
- There is one powerful center which is closely connected with the vagus nerve. This is most potent and is regarded by some schools of occultism as a major center; it is not in the spine, but is no great distance from the thymus gland.
- There is one which is close to the solar plexus, and relates it to the center at the base of the spine, thus making a triangle of the sacral center, the solar plexus, and the center at the base of the spine.
Note: This listing of the 21 minor chakras is attributed to Alice Bailey.
Two of these minor chakras are the system of the feet Chakras and they are very important in healing. Located on the base, or sole, of our feet; they have as a primordial purpose the discharge the “electrical” streams generated as an consequence of the normal activities and functions of the physical body.
These small, but important, Chakra vortexes can be found on the sole of each foot and they work in combination with the Muladhara Chakra or base Chakra, along with other minor chakras in the legs to create a stable lattice foundation for our physical existence. When they function harmonically, the Feet Chakras ensure a constant flow of communication and connection with the energy grids of the Earth to the rest of the chakras on our physical and extra-physical bodies.
There are even smaller vortexes. These are located where the energy strands cross each other only seven times and may very well correspond to the acupuncture points of Chinese medicine.